The Millennium Collection for Bute House
This Collection of modern silver was commissioned by The Incorporation of Goldsmiths and is now owned by the Scottish Goldsmiths Trust. It was created to celebrate the return of a Scottish Parliament after 300 years and it is on permanent loan to Scotland's First Minister to promote the quality of craftsmanship in Scotland today. It is used in Bute House, the official Edinburgh residence of the First Minister, where it is enjoyed by visiting Heads of State, political leaders and guests from around the world.
The Collection was made by fifteen of Scotland's top silversmiths and each piece bears the special commemorative Millennium hallmark which could only be applied during the years 1999 and 2000.
Click here to view the Millenium Collection.
During Parliamentary recesses, the Collection is exhibited both at home and abroad.
Since 2007, the Millennium Collection has been exhibited around the world as part of the Silver of the Stars World Tour. During this time the collection was shown at world class venues and was seen by almost three quarters of a million visitors:
- November 2012 - January 2013, Centre d'Artesania Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
- May - July 2012, Krzysztofory Palace, Historical Museum of the City of Krakow, Poland
- February - May 2010, The Nickle Arts Museum, Calgary, Canada
- October 2009 - January 2010, The Royal British Columbia Museum, Victoria, Canada
- July - October 2009, The San Francisco Museum of Craft and Design, USA
- April - July 2009, The Gregg Museum of Art and Design, North Carolina, USA
- January - April 2008, The National Museums of Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland
- October 2007, The Museum of Kyoto, Japan
- September 2007, The World Art Museum, Beijing, China
- July - August 2007, State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg, Russia
- March - June 2007, The Forbes Galleries, New York, USA
- January - March 2007, Victoria and Albert Museum, London, UK
Before 2007, the collection was exhibited in:
- July - August 2006 Koldinghus, Denmark
- October - November 2004 Hergetova Cihelna, Prague, Czech Republic, where the collection was the centre of The Lion's Roar, an exhibition of dazzling contemporary and significant historical Scottish silver
- July - August 2004 McLellan Galleries, Glasgow, Scotland
- February - March 2003 Mona Bismarck Foundation, Paris, France
- July - August 2002 Aberdeen Art Gallery, Scotland
- 2001 National Museums Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland